Learn Computer Programming
Computer programming is a fun way to get creative with your computers, tablets or smartphones.
When learning to program a computer you need to start by learning a computer language. There are several different languages around with some more suitable for certain purposes. Although there are differences between the programming languages they also have a lot in common, so after learning one language it's much easier to transfer those skills on to the next language.
Which language to learn?
- Scratch - Simple graphical based programming language designed for children
- Python - Popular language with a rigid formatting which is good for teaching a good programming style. Professional language with lots of functionality and used in industry.
- PHP - Popular programming language for use in creating dynamic web pages. Runs on the server and is often used to generate pages from databases or frequently updated information.
- Java - Portable language that can be written to run on lots of different computers. Very popular for creating smartphone apps.
- BASIC - Old programming language, which was very popular in the 1980s. BASIC had a bad reputation for making hard to read code, but has improved greatly since then.
- C, C++ - C and C++ are used a lot in the operating system and major software programming. These are very powerful languages, but considered by many to be difficult for beginners.
- Perl - Less popular now than it was before, but still used a lot in system administration. Good for manipulating text files due to it's powerful regular expression support.